In this research guide you will learn how to get a COMPLETE, non-commercial, Statewide list of Assisted Living & Senior Care Facilities Provided by the State of Indiana.
Indiana is perhaps one of the very best states you can be researching Senior Living in. Why? Because the State of Indiana provides an outstanding tool, and database – free to anyone and everyone – to research many different types of Senior Living options including:
- Residential Care Facilities / Assisted Living
- Nursing Homes
- Skilled Nursing Facilities
and much more!
You can even filter results to include the following types of services:
- Alzheimer’s Special Care Unit
- Ventilator Unit
- Wound Care
One of the best things about this database, and search tool, is that it is non-commercial, and since it is managed by the State of Indiana’s Department of Health, it can be considered highly trustworthy, unbiased and accurate.
How To Find Assisted Living Facilities in Indiana (with Direct Contact Numbers)
Very simply, you’ll want to head over to the State’s Health Facilities Consumer Report Search page here.
You’ll be greeted to a robust search tool that looks like this:
Indiana’s Safest Facilities:
To find Long-Term Care anywhere in Indiana, follow these steps:
- Choose your facility type (for this example, we’ll choose Residential Care Facility / Licensed Assisted Living)
- Choose any type of services you would like to filter the results with
- Enter the City, County, Facility ID, or Facility Name
- Click “Search”
From there, an interactive map will be displayed, with “Pins” indicating where the facilities that fit your search criteria area located.
You can zoom in and out of the map, or choose a “Pin” to see additional details about the facility.
The map will look like this:
Clicking on a “Pin” will display snapshot information about the facility:
Inspections, Surveys & Complaints Reports
A wealth of information for each facility awaits you beyond the map. In our example above, once you click on a Pin, you’ll be able to:
- Zoom in using the bluish green + sign
- Get directions to the facility with the yellow icon
- Open Consumer Report using the light green icon.
Choosing the last option will bring you to a detail page for the facility that includes in-depth information and details about the facility. The detail page will look like this:
This detail report is several pages long for each facility. Information includes:
- Basic Information (Facility Address, Phone, Website, License Information)
- Administration and Staff
- Ownership Information (For, or Not-For-Profit)
- Bed Counts (Including Medicaid / Medicare Beds, Alzheimer’s Beds, Ventilator Beds)
- Nurse Aide Training
- State Licensure Surveys (including how the facility compares to the State average for complaints/findings)
- Survey History
Under the Survey History section, you will see a grid with the Survey Type (whether it was complaint related, relicensure, or a follow up), the Event ID, and the Exit Date.
Clicking on the Event ID will bring you to the specific report page that details the nature of the complaint or visit, the findings, and plan of correction (if any).
How To Get a State-wide Directory of Residential Care (Assisted Living) Facilities by County
Another simple & very useful tool offered by the State of Indiana provides users with an interactive map of Indiana, broken down by County – which allows users to see a quick and simple list of all Assisted Living Facilities in that county.
The page looks like this:
Selecting a county will bring up a list of facilities that looks like this:
Indiana Residential Care / Health Facilities Rules & Regulations
Having access to and being familiar with the rules and regulations for Residential Care (Assisted Living) Facilities is a powerful tool to have if you are a resident, potential resident, loved one, or family member.
These rules and regulations can help you to determine when resident rights have been compromised, or when abuse, or neglect may be happening.
The State of Indiana has a “Laws and Regulations” section on their Residential Care Facility Licensing Program Page, which you can access here:
Within this section, there are links to the State Laws and Rules for:
- Licensure of Health Facilities
- Licensure of Health Facilities Rules (.pdf)
- Residential (Care) Regulations
How To File A Complaint Against A HealthCare Facility in Indiana
The State of Indiana provides a way for individuals to make a complaint against a licensed or certified health care provider or supplier, including Residential Care (Assisted Living) facilities.
Complaints may be submitted anonymously. This is important for residents who fear ‘retaliation’ or further abuse or neglect if they were to be identified as the plaintiff.
You’ll need to visit the Complaints Process page here:
Reports may be submitted in the following ways:
- By email: email@example.com
- Call the ISDH: 1-800-246-8909
- Mail the complaint to: Indiana State Department of Health
Health Care Facility Complaint Program
2 North Meridian Street, 4B
Indianapolis, IN 46204
- Fax (317) 233-7494
Additional Helpful Resources
A great resource for you to continue your Assisted Living Research is through the Indiana Assisted Living Association.
The INALA site offers a number of excellent tools and guides, free to the public, including:
- Find an Assisted Living Community tool
- How To Pay for Assisted Living: Waivers, Veterans Benefits, Senior Care Living Insurance, Private Pay, Medicare and Medicaid are all covered.
- A step-by-step guide to choosing an Assisted Living Home