Interestingly, some of the most visited pages on our site are our pages where we outline how to file complaints against Assisted Living Facilities. This is not something most families know how to do, and there is often times a degree of fear or trepidation around filing a complaint.
Residents or families may fear some sort of retaliation, or lesser degrees of services or attention after filing a complaint, so at times, issues, abuse or neglect go unreported.
Certainly, if it were known that complaints could be filed anonymously, more would be made. In most states, including Alabama, you can file a complaint against a healthcare facility anonymously.
How To File A Complaint Against A Nursing Home in Alabama
You may file a complaint in a number of different ways.
- Fill out this form. Notice that it clearly says “You Can Remain Anonymous (figure 1).”
- For elder complaints, contact the ElderCare Hotline at 1-800-356-9596
- To file a complaint against a Nursing Home email NHComplaints@adph.state.al.us
- Write a letter to: ATTN: Complaint Unit, Alabama Department of Public Health, Bureau of Health Provider Standards, 201 Monroe Street, Suite 700, Montgomery, AL 36130-3017
Alabama’s Safest Facilities
How To File A Complaint Against An Assisted Living Facility in Alabama
- Email: ALFComplaints@adph.state.al.us
- You can call the Assisted Living Facilities complaint hotline at 1-866-873-0366
- Write a letter to: ATTN: ALF Complaint Unit, Alabama Department of Public Health, Bureau of Health Provider Standards, 201 Monroe Street, Suite 700, Montgomery, AL 36130-3017
Complaints can be relevant to a number of different situations or issued including:
- Privacy Issues
- Sub-standard care
- Staffing issues
- Food, Health and Safety